- When someone asks me what I think is the best “All Purpose Wine” I laugh and give them my best answer “Riesling”. It may sound too simple but when you consider the range of styles, producers, regions, and choices from very dry through sweet culminating in excellent dessert wine, the answer is actually a very complex one. This wine is extremely food friendly and you can easily find a Riesling that will pair well with any cuisine. You probably heard the saying “There’s an app for that” and when it comes to food pairings it can be said “There’s a Riesling for that”. Riesling is produced globally by a host of very fine wineries but the frontrunners in quality have always been from the French Alsace Region, Germany and Austria. Australia also markets some nice Riesling but anyone that has followed this blog knows I favor the Finger Lakes Region of New York and their world-class Riesling. I have listed below a few favorites that should give you a good start on your search but there are plenty of others waiting to be discovered .
- Keuka Lake Seneca Lake Cayuga Lake
- Ravines Herman R. Wiemer Swedish Hill
- Dr. Frank’s Three Brothers Knapp
- Heron Hill Belhurst Castle
- Standing Stone
- Lamoreaux Landing
My next stop was the award-winning Lamoreaux Landing Winery in Lodi, New York. The first thing that strikes you about this property is just how impressive the facilities are. The grandeur of the main building hints of Roman and Greek inspired architecture. The long stroll up the sidewalk to the main entrance was only a prelude to the truly magnificent view of the lake through the huge windows inside. The view from the beautiful tasting room was one of the finest I have ever experienced in the Finger Lakes. The wine of Lamoreaux Landing are well made and enjoyable. I purchased their Estate Red Table Wine but passed on a very good Chardonnay that I really should have added to the growing collection in the trunk of my car. After looking around the gift shop that is adjacent to the tasting room we left with my bottle of Estate Red and a promise to return soon. Lamoreaux Landing Winery is located at 9224 Rte 414 Lodi, NY.
- Lamoreaux Landing 2010 Yellow Dog Vineyard Riesling (lenndevours.com)
- Lamoreaux Landing 2009 Dry Riesling (lenndevours.com)